Thursday, April 14, 2011

Timing IS Everything....

Sometimes I have to sit back and just wonder what some people are thinking.  Here’s the story…
 
I have a candidate that, against my better judgment and counsel, decided to tell my client that he could not start for 4 months.  Knowing full well that he IS the best candidate for the position and our client truly wants to hire him.  My candidate stated he wanted to finish a project and make sure the conditions were right, whatever his reasons are, my client was not happy!  However, they decided to go along with it. We have since pulled ourselves from the search and will wait to see what happens.  Well, that was two months ago, and he still won't start for another 2 months.  At that time, I advised my client that I did not see it lasting that long and that we should continue the search; they told me that they had their guy and they are confident that the candidate will be there.  And so, we wait! 
 
My opinion, I still believe my client is going to ask me to get back on the search when the candidate doesn't make it for one reason or another and here’s why.  I know other firms are currently contacting my candidate; I know that he is involved in long range planning with his current firm; I know that his clients are assuming that he will be around for the things he is marketing.  Professional? Unethical? Not for me to decide.
 
However, if this does not work and something does interfere with this candidate going to work for my client; this ends up being a colossal waste of time for our client, our candidate and for Hygun and our team.  That something may be that the candidate changed his mind or maybe a better candidate comes along, one with an immediate time line. 
 
My point, timing IS everything!  As a candidate that begins pursuing a new job opportunity, which leads down the road of an interview, which should be assumed you get to the offer stage, then you should understand the timing of the opportunity and it should be attainable before beginning the process.
 
To learn more on strategic solutions for your hiring needs please contact Hygun Group, Inc at 770-973-0838 or visit us at www.hygun.com.

No comments: